CLASSIC BOARDS: Bic Rock’n’Roll

5 Aug
The majestic Bic Rock'n'Roll taking a break (PHOTO: Sofie Jenkinson)

The Bic Rock'n'Roll chilling out in the board store. (PHOTO: Sofie Jenkinson)

CLASSIC BOARDS: The Bic Rock’n’Roll (1986 -1990)

LENGTH: 3.05 m

WIDTH: 0.62 m

WEIGHT: 13 kg

VOLUME: 135 l

CLASS: Slalom LW

The Bic Rock’n’Roll is my personal favourite, not least because I have spent many, many an hour learning how to windsurf on it. I love all of it’s little idiosyncrasies and flaws and like the old friend it is it never lets me down.

It was originally my Dad’s and has been sailed in lots of different waters, both here and abroad. I lend it to other people sometimes and they complain that it’s too wobbly, but hey! It’s my wobbly. I’m used all its tricks so I actually find it easier to ride than a lot of other more ‘buoyant’ boards.

The Rock’n’Roll was one of a clutch of iconic Bic boards manufactured in the  80s and 90s, including those desgiend by Ken Winner.  It was a period where Bic Sport had a large level of influence and was defining windsurfing.

About these ads

7 Responses to “CLASSIC BOARDS: Bic Rock’n’Roll”

1. Rob May 3, 2010 at 3:22 pm #

I need a bic rock n roll universal joint ! where can i get one and preferably with a north sail pin like the one pictured

• sofiejenkinson May 3, 2010 at 7:57 pm #

We get most of our stuff from Boardwise in Cannock (http://www.boardwise.co.uk/). Most of the mast foot(s) we have have north pins as we’ve customised them ourselves or Boardwise have done for us.

We’ve also bought a lot of these old bic boards off ebay so it’s worth looking on there too.

• Rob May 4, 2010 at 4:40 pm #

Thanks for that, I’ve now managed to take my old joint apart and saved the bottom fixing and waiting a new Boge universal joint and north pin in the post ( I also found a Pin – Chinook Adaptor) I used edge water sports & Surf store but I’m sure there are many more places.
        Thanks for your advise and giving me hope for the old board.

• sofiejenkinson May 4, 2010 at 4:47 pm #

No worries! The Rock’n’Roll pictured is my Dad’s board. He bought it 23 years ago and still uses it as his main board. He taught me on it and I still use it more than any other board. We eventually bought another one off ebay.

Good luck with all your mast foot endeavors.
        Sof

2. Rob May 6, 2010 at 4:21 pm #

All done now, just waiting for some wind to see how she goes with a modern sail.
    Anyone out there looking for the bottom bit of the UJ that fits into the sliding track. There is a french site that sells the called Gliss Up http://www.glissup.fr/list.php?path=26 they are a little expensive with the delivery charge! So might be better of on e bay.

3. jan May 10, 2010 at 2:34 pm #

I’ve got also an Bic Roch’n’Roll inherited from my dad. Wouldn’t sell it for (nearly) all the money in the world… Now, what type of fin do you guy’s use with the board? The original?

• sofiejenkinson May 13, 2010 at 7:33 pm #

Yeah we still use the original. Works like a dream!